Monday, July 16, 2007

When furnishing your home or apartment, have you ever purchased used furniture, garage sale pieces, or have any advice on budgeting for your home?

Furnishing your apartment can be fun whether you have money or not! It definitely taps your creative energies, and when you are on a budget, your creativity is required even more. For most of my apartments, I actually had my brother help me decorate them since he is the master treasure hunter! He can walk in to a thrift store and find the perfect addition to a wardrobe, apartment, etc. We would pick a theme and then try and find the little things to fit in, i.e. a lamp, picture, statues/figurines, etc.

Most of the actual furniture I had were given to me. Some of them you can modify to your tastes. I had some wicker couches that were given by an old co-worker; I had my mom sew covers for them to match my living room décor. If you do not have the good fortune for garage sales or hand-me-downs, then for furniture pieces, IKEA will always be a college student’s best friend. You really do not need expensive items to give your place character. Take your time, approach it with a sense of adventure and your home will come together in no time and under budget!

No comments: