Tuesday, May 29, 2007

While you were at USC...

While I was at USC, I commuted throughout my years, so I was not as involved as most students in on-campus activities. What I did do was work on campus the whole time, and that is what provided me with my fondest memories. I was really shy when I first started going to SC, so being forced to interact with other students in order to get a job done allowed me to come out of my shell. Some of my best friends from school are co-workers that I met during my time working at the USC Orientation Office. Even my supervisor at the time became a close friend and we still keep in touch to this day. Not only did I work during the school year, but one or two summers I kept on full time for the Orientation Office since that was the busy season: getting the entire incoming freshman and transfer students up to speed before the first day of school. It was always hectic and crazy, but fun and rewarding at the same time. Working has always provided the best experience for me, not only professionally but personally as well. Over three quarters of my friends right now I met through work. There is something about spending 6 to 8 hours a day straight with someone, they know you better than your family sometimes! Another person that was very pivotal in my time at school was my boss Rose – during my time off from school, I started working for a Sole Proprietor who did Environmental Consulting. She was the best person to work for because not only did I learn so much, but she constantly reinforced my need to finish my education and recognized my talents and abilities. The confident person I am today I can partly attribute to working with Rose on and off for over 4 years. She was not only a boss, but a mentor and a friend. I am pretty lucky to have had wonderful people in my life that believed in me and showed me the way, with patience and love.

No comments: