Tuesday, February 20, 2007

YOU’VE GRADUATED. NOW WHAT?

Personally, I did not have a normal graduation experience. I worked 20 to 60 hours at various times throughout school, lived with my mom and commuted the whole time. I also took a couple of years off of school because I did not know what I wanted to do with my life. I worked as a temp at different companies, so by the time I graduated, I had already worked in Corporate America in some respect and did not have a tough transition from school to the working world.

What I would suggest is having summer jobs or internships if possible, that way you build a relationship with potential future employers. If you took the route of focusing purely on your studies, and never worked during school, I would highly recommend going through a temporary employment agency after graduation. This way you can try out different employers, see what you like or don’t like, familiarize yourself with an office environment and have some work experience under your belt.

When I graduated, I continued to work 30 to 40 hours as an assistant for the Environmental Consultant I had worked with for two years. It remained a temporary position for a few years until I could find a position better suited for my career goals. I took my time in order to find a job and company that would be a good Personality Fit. We have to work 40 to 60 hours a week at times and you need to have an enjoyable experience at work, so that it blends nicely with the other areas of your life. Take your time and make sure you find the right fit for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are there any sites that have information on internships?

CUafterUSC.org said...

Regarding Internships, the best way to access them is through the USC Career Center on campus. Click Here to check it out. They usually have a list of jobs/internships available, sometimes specifically for USC students. This is when you will start to see the USC loyalty/networking in effect. The next best place would be through your specific School offices, i.e. Marshall School of Business, Annenberg School of Communication, etc. These are great resources because the jobs are more tailored to your field of study.